A tasty Egg and Avocado Sandwich which would make a perfect Lunch Idea for the week. Meal prep ahead this deep filled filled sandwich with simple ingredients; Avocados, egg salad ,cucumbers and fresh micro herb greens. You wont buy a shop bought egg salad sandwich again!
This sandwich is one of my favorite meal prep meals which I can pop in my bag when I’m on the go. The combination of egg and avocado is a match made in heaven on some sourdough toast for breakfast. However this egg and avocado sandwich is a great lunch idea, as it’s fresh, nutritious and you can prep two sandwiches in advance within 25 Minutes!
What ingredients are inside my Egg and Avocado Sandwich?
- Wholemeal Bread
- Micro herbs
- Homemade Egg Salad / Egg mayonnaise
How many calories are inside an egg and avocado sandwich?
There are 287 calories in egg and avocado sandwich. This is a hearty sandwich full of nutrition greens via the spinach cucumber and micro herbs, high protein. Though if you would like to reduce the calorie amount you can make the following swaps;
Swap the mayonnaise for 0% fat Greek yogurt
Exclude spreading butter on your sandwich bread
– Egg Yolk
Remove the egg yolk from the boiled eggs before mixing your egg salad. The egg yolk contains the majority of fat/calorific content in an egg
Reduce the avocado to a 1/4 rather than a half for each sandwich.
Meal prep ahead this deep filled filled sandwich with simple ingredients; Avocados, egg salad ,cucumbers and fresh micro herb greens. You wont buy a shop bought egg salad sandwich again! ……
What are Micro herbs?
Micro-herbs are smaller versions of common kitchen herbs such as coriander, parsley, basil etc. And also more unique herbs such as pea shoots, Nasturtium Leaves, Purple Basil, etc. The harvest for these herbs create miniature micro herb leaves and can be used in salads, garnishes and in sandwiches, as seen in my egg and avocado sandwich.
Where can I buy micro herbs?
Some supermarkets stock micro herbs however I tend to find them from more specialist retailers online or at local farmers markets. However if you are unable to find micro-herbs you can use cress as an alternative.
I found my micro herbs in a great salad mix sold in Marks & Spencers. They have a various ranges including include a British Mix, Italian Mix, Indian Mix and a Japanese Mix
I hope you enjoy!
Catherine 🙂 xPrint
A tasty Egg and Avocado Sandwich which would make a perfect Lunch Idea for the week. Meal prep ahead this deep filled filled sandwich with simple ingredients; Avocados, egg salad ,cucumbers and fresh micro herb greens.
- Wholemeal Bread – 4 x slices
- Eggs – x 2
- Micro herb salad or Cress – 2 x small handfuls
- Cucumber Sliced – 1/4 of a small cucumber sliced
- Avocado – 1 x cored and thinly sliced
- Mixed herbs (dried) – 1/4 teaspoon
- Mayonnaise – 1 x teaspoon
- Salad cream – 1 x teaspoon
- Spinach – small handful
- Lemon – 1 lemon
- Butter of choice for spreading
- Sea Salt & Black pepper to taste
- Bring a small saucepan of water to boiling temperature
- Carefully add in the eggs to the saucepan, you need enough boiling water to cover the eggs fully. Boil the eggs on a maximum heat for 8-10 minutes depending on how runny you like your egg yolk. Once cooked peel the eggs and the add to a bowl of ice-cold water, then set aside.
- Cut your cucumber into thick slices.
- Cut and peel your avocado into two pieces and remove the core. Place the two avocado halves onto a chopping board then thinly slice. Once sliced squeeze over the juice from a lemon. This helps stop the Avocado from turning brown & adds flavor too! Season slightly with some freshly cracked black pepper and sea salt
- Clear you chopping board then roughly chop the boil eggs into small pieces and place into a bowl. Then add the mayonnaise, salad cream, herbs, salt, black pepper to taste and mix.
- Spread the two slices of bread with butter, add a layer of egg mixture, spinach, cucumber, the sliced avocado half and then top with some micro herb salad or cress. Slice in half and repeat to make two sandwiches. Cover in your wrap of choice I use grease-proof paper, keep refrigerated for 2-3 days.
*Where can I find micro herb salad mix? For my readers in the UK Mark & Spencer’s have a great Micro Salad Mix. Another great alternative is cress or your favourites salad greens; rocket/arugula, watercress, romaine lettuce etc.
**Not a fan of mayo or salad cream? Swap with 1 teaspoon Greek Yogurt
***Boiled eggs time-saving tip – Boil a kettle full of water ahead of time and add to your sauce pan
Keywords: Egg, Avocado, Meal Prep, Healthy, Sandwich, Salad