My take on a takeaway classic found at Wagamamas Japanese themed restaurant. This Firecracker chicken recipe is worth the effort for maximum flavors with a fiery kick for your lurch time meal prep!
- Chicken breasts – 4 x chopped into small chunks
- Baking soda – 3 tablespoons
- Cornflour – 60 grams
- Eggs – x 2
- Vegetable Oil – 4/5 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Franks hot sauce (buffalo sauce) – 175ml
- White wine vinegar – 2 tablespoons
- Brown sugar – 80 grams
- Red pepper flakes – ½ teaspoon
- Cornflour – 2 tablespoons (dissolved in 4 x tablespoons of cold water)
- Light soy sauce – 2 tablespoons
- White & black sesame seeds – 1 teaspoon of each
Stir-fry Green Beans
- Fresh Green beans – 200 grams chopped
- Garlic cloves – 2 finely chopped
- Fresh Ginger – a thumb-size finely chopped
- Sesame oil – 1 tablespoon
- Light soy sauce – 2 tablespoons
- Fresh red chili – 1 x finely chopped (optional)
- Uncooked Jasmine rice* – 300 grams
- 700ml cold water
- Salt – ½ teaspoon
- Japanese shichimi seven spice seasoning (optional)
- Lime – 1 x lime cut into quarters (optional)
- Pre-heat your oven to 200 Celsius and heat a frying pan/wok to a medium heat on your stove
- Mix the chopped chicken breast and baking soda in a bowl. Leave to tenderize for 10 minutes then rinse in cold water to remove the excess baking soda. Drain and pat dry the chicken with kitchen towels, then add into a bowl filled with the cornflour, salt, pepper. Mix till each piece is coated in the dry ingredients, then add the whisked eggs and mix further.
- Add the vegetable oil to a pan and shallow fry the pieces of chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side till slightly crispy but not cooked through. Complete in batches and once complete add the chicken pieces to a greased deep oven tray or rectangular glass Pyrex dish and place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Whilst the chicken is in the oven rinse the jasmine rice* in a sieve with a tap of cold running water, over your kitchen sink. Place in a saucepan with 700ml of cold and add salt. Bring to the boil and then cover and simmer gently for 10-12 minutes on medium to low heat. During cooking add more boiling water from a kettle if necessary. Once cooked drain thoroughly in a sieve and rinse with boiling water. Leave to the side with the lid off too cool once cooked.
- Mix the hot sauce, white wine vinegar, brown sugar, red pepper flakes and sesame seeds in a bowl. Remove the chicken from the oven, pour over the firecracker sauce mixture and then return to the oven to cook for a further 10 minutes
- Add the sesame oil & the green beans to your pre-heated frying pan/wok. Stir-fry for 3-4 minutes then add the garlic, ginger, fresh red chili and cook for 3 minutes, add a teaspoon of water to create some steam. Finally add the soy sauce, some salt & pepper to taste then set aside to cool.
- Once cooled place the chicken, green beans and jasmine rice into 4 meal prep bowls. Sprinkled with the spicy Japanese shichimi spice and a lime wedge to garnish. If you would like to recreate the round rice mound presentation, portion the rice into a small round plastic container or bowl. Push down and add more rice so the mixture sticks together, flip over and then carefully empty into your meal prep bowl or plate.
- Refrigerate your meal prep bowls and when your ready to eat microwave for 4-5 minutes. Minus the lime! They will keep in the fridge for 5 days.
*Jasmine Rice time saving tip – I sometimes buy instant microwavable Jasmine rice, 2 x 225 grams packets split into 4 portions will also be enough for this recipe. You won’t achieve the round rice mound shape, but this is a great way to save time and alternative if you are not confident with cooking rice from scratch. No need to heat up the rice first, add straight to your meal prep bowls once the green beans and chicken have cooled. Then when you’re ready to eat microwave your meal prep bowls as per the recipe instructions.
Keywords: meal prep, take out, firecracker chicken, stir fry, Asian recipes