Learn how to make an amazingly EXTRA FLUFFY and CREAMY Whipped Dalgona Coffee ! ONLY 3 ingredients & it can be served cold or hot! This is a great way make your morning coffee!
In less than 10 minutes you can make the delicious and Tik Tok viral Dalgona whipped coffee! I have been making them constantly in the mornings as an alternative to my normal espresso brewed coffee. You can honestly make Starbucks and coffee shop like drinks at home so easily, with minimal ingredients and kitchen tools.
NEED SOME MORE RECIPE INSPIRATION? – TRY OUT THESE AMAZING RECIPES TOO!
- HOMEMADE NANDO’S PERI PERI SAUCE RECIPE
- GOURMET BACON AVOCADO GROUND BEEF BURGER RECIPE
- WAGAMAMA FIRECRACKER CHICKEN RECIPE – MEAL PREP
- PF CHANG’S DYNAMITE BANG BANG SHRIMP RECIPE
- AIR FRYER CHOCOLATE AND HAZELNUT HIGH PROTEIN GRANOLA RECIPE
What’s Dalgona coffee?
Dalgona coffee is a whipped coffee served on top of milk. The whipped coffee is made by whisking together only 3 ingredients – equal parts instant coffee granules, granulated sugar, and boiling water. It is mostly served with cold milk and ice. The coffee foam is very creamy and is reminiscent of popular coffee shop beverages.
How the Dalgona coffee trend started?
The Dalgona coffee trend started after the recipe went viral across Tik Tok, Instagram and Facebook. The whipped coffee is stated to have origins from south Korea, where the drink became trendy. Also, worldwide during 2020 a large majority of people have had to stay at home, DIY recipes and drink trends become popular during this period.
Ingredients are in whipped coffee?
Dalgona coffee is made with only 3 ingredients in equal ratios.
- Instant Coffee granules
- Granulated sugar
- Boiling hot water
How to make Dalgona coffee
Follow the easy steps below to make Dalgona whipped coffee;
- Add coffee, sugar and finally the boiling hot water into a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk the mixture using either a hand or electric whisk (which will take between 2-4 minutes with an electric whisk or 8-10 minutes with a hand whisk to achieve stiff peaks.
- Add ice and cold milk to a glass
- Use a spoon or spatula to add your whipped Dalgona coffee on top of the milk.
HELPFUL KITCHEN TOOLS
Here are a few key basic kitchen tools you will need to make this recipe:
- A kitchen whisk
- Or an electric hand whisk/ stand mixer
- Large mixing bowl – preferably a sturdy glass bowl
Tips and tricks for making whipped coffee;
- You need to use instant granulated coffee to achieve the perfect whipped coffee, rather than brewed coffee grounds.
- Granulated sugar works best, you can use different varieties such as brown sugar and coconut sugar
- I prefer to make the whipped Dalgona coffee with a hand whisk as I fee you can really control how thick the mixture is. Although this method is quite tiring! So, feel free to use an electric whisk. Using the electric whisk will almost half the total whipping time
- You can serve your whipped coffee on top of warm or cold dairy or plant-based milk. I find the foam sits better on cold milk, the coffee initially drips into the milk quicker when hot milk is used and the foam also diffuses faster.
Dalgona whipped coffee step by step recipe video
Helpful frequently asked questions on Dalgona whipped coffee explained
Why Dalgona coffee works?
The chemical reaction between the granulated coffee and granulated sugar is what helps the coffee foam form and become quite air rated whilst whipping.
Will Dalgona coffee work with brewed coffee?
You do not get as great results if you were to use freshly pressed/brewed espresso coffee grounds due to its chemical makeup. However granulated instant espresso works with the same equal ratios as advised in this post.
How many calories are in Dalgona coffee?
The number of calories in Dalgona coffee foam alone is 40 calories, however the total calorie amount for the coffee beverage will vary subject to the following contributing factors;
- The type of milk you used. For example, a Dalgona coffee with 250ml/1 cup of almond milk would in total equate to 79 calories. Whereas the same amount with
- If you increase the sugar, the calories will increase
- The type of sugar you use. Different sugars have a variation of calorie values.
- If you add any extra syrup flavourings, e.g. caramel syrup
Can I use brown sugar in Dalgona coffee
Essentially most granulated sugars will work for making whipped Dalgona coffee. However, powdered sugar does not work when I have tested this. Sweeteners where granulated can also work.
What can I use instead of milk in coffee?
There is now so many non-dairy milk alternatives available for you to use in coffee, such as;
- Almond milk
- Oat milk
- Coconut milk
- Soy milk
- Flax milk
- Rice milk
- Cashew milk
Can Dalgona coffee be made with hot milk?
You can serve Dalgona coffee with hot milk, however I find the whipped coffee foam disintegrates faster. This does not affect the taste however visually the fluffy stiff peaks flatten faster and the whipped coffee foam tends to bleed into your milk quicker as soon as you place the coffee on top of the hot milk.
Thank you so much for reading along. I hope you making your delicious Dalgona Whipped Coffee.
If you try this recipe, I would be grateful if you could leave a review and star rating, you can find this at the bottom of the page and recipe card 😊Print
Learn how to make easy EXTRA FLUFFY and CREAMY Whipped Dalgona Coffee, including a video recipe tutorial! ONLY 3 ingredients & it can be served cold or hot! This is a great way make your morning coffee!
- Instant Coffee – 2 x tablespoons
- Granulated White Sugar – 2 x tablespoons
- Boiling hot water – 2 x tablespoons
- Serve on top of your preferred dairy or plant-based milk. With cold iced milk or hot.
Add coffee, sugar and finally the boiling hot water into a large mixing bowl.
Whisk the mixture using either a hand or electric whisk (which will take between 2-4 minutes with an electric whisk or 8-10 minutes with a hand whisk to achieve stiff peaks.
Add ice and cold milk to a glass
Use a spoon or spatula to add your whipped dalgona coffee ontop of the milk.
You need to use instant coffee to achieve the perfect whipped coffee, rather than brewed coffee grounds.
Granulated sugar works best, you can use different varieties such as brown sugar and coconut sugar
I prefer to make the whipped dalgona coffee with a hand whisk as I fee you can really control how thick the mixture is. Although this method is quite tiring! So feel free to use an electric whisk. Using the electric whisk will almost half the total whipping time
You can serve your whipped coffee on top of warm or cold dairy or plant-based milk. I find the foam sits better on cold milk, the coffee initially drips into the milk quicker with hot milk and the foam diffuses faster.
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Whipping
- Cuisine: Korean
Keywords: coffee, whipped, drinks, dalgona